Wynns Coonawarra Estate
Wynns Coonawarra Estate is the Coonawarra region’s pre-eminent wine producer, with the largest holding of the region’s best and longest established vineyard sites.
The first vineyards were planted in 1891, by Scottish pioneer John Riddoch as he recognised the potential of a small strip of fertile red soil, the terra rossa, in the far south east of South Australia. What is now Wynns Coonawarra Estate’s famous triple-gable winery was built in 1896. In 1951 Melbourne wine merchant Samuel Wynn purchased the winery and vineyards, convinced of the region’s potential to produce top-quality wines. Samuel’s son David was the driving force behind the purchase and gradually assumed control of the operation, releasing the first wine under the Wynns Coonawarra Estate banner in 1952.
Today the wines are regarded as benchmarks for the district, lauded for their consistent quality and depth of flavour. Under Sue Hodder, who has been Senior Winemaker since 1998, Wynns Coonawarra Estate produces an annual collection of wines. In vintages when the grapes are deemed exceptional, two flagship reds are also made: the John Riddoch Cabernet Sauvignon and the Michael Shiraz.