Castello di Gabbiano
The Tuscan winemaking tradition was formed over 3,000 years ago when the Etruscans cultivated vines and made wine. During the Middle Ages, battles raged between Sienna and Florence for control of this fruitful land. This led to the construction of the region’s many castles or Castelli. As part of the fortification, the “cavaliere” knight on horseback, as depicted on our label, protected castle owners from threat of invasion.
The first mention of the Castello di Gabbiano dates back to the 12th century, when the castle belonged to the prestigious Bardi family. In 1408 the property passed to the Soderini family who were prominently involved in the political events of Florence.
Throughout the ensuing centuries, many noble families resided at the castle, making modifications and restorations. Today, Castello di Gabbiano continues to be a part of Tuscany’s historical fabric as one of the leading wine estates in the region.
The Castello di Gabbiano estate is situated in the prestigious commune of San Casciano, Val di Pesa in the Chianti Classico area. This 173-acre estate is planted with vineyards and olive groves that blend harmoniously into the classic Tuscan landscape.
Just over 65 acres of property are dedicated to growing sangiovese and canaiolo grapes used for producing the estate’s exceptional quality Chianti Classico Riserva.